History of linton tweeds
In 1912 Scotsman William Linton started Linton Mill in the Caldewgate area of Carlisle, a small city situated close to the Scottish border and near the famous Lake District.
Initially Linton employed two salesmen with ponies and traps who travelled the Lake District buying wool and selling woollen suit lengths. William Linton’s great friend, Captain Molyneux, was a Parisian couturier who in the 1920s introduced him to a dynamic young lady called Coco Chanel. This began an association which has flourished over the years resulting in the house of Chanel being Linton’s biggest and most prestigious customer.
As the years rolled on, the name of Linton became synonymous with good quality; their exquisitely designed cloths were shown often on the Paris catwalks. This led to massive business within America – the Americans being keen to reproduce the outfits shown in the Paris couture houses and in the authentic Linton fabrics.
During the late 30’s and throughout the 50’s Miss Agnes Linton, daughter of William, sailed to the USA first class by ship with her cabin trunks packed with samples. Apart from the war years, business in America was so good that the Linton Collection was only shown to a privileged ten to twelve customers each season.